Wednesday 7 July 2021

Waves & Wild Emi T-Shirts

 When I was sorting my fabric stash recently, I unearthed some pieces of child-appropriate jersey left over from other projects and I decided to use them to make some tops for my nephews and niece. Here they are in their Waves & Wild Emi t-shirts.

The Emi pattern gives you lots of options for jersey garments. For a start it comes in sizes from newborn to age 12 so you can get plenty of use out of it. There are also options for a t-shirt, peplum top or dress with a circle skirt, as well as short sleeves, long sleeves and grown on sleeves. Lastly, there's the option of pockets for the dress. You're definitely not short of choice!

For my nephews I made the short-sleeved t-shirt, and my niece has the short-sleeved peplum top.

The instructions seemed to be good - I say "seemed" because I only really skimmed through them, but they contained plenty of detail and looked like they explained everything thoroughly. 

I actually did my own thing a bit because I've made a few similar t-shirts (albeit on a bigger adult-sized scale!) so I'm familiar with the steps you need to work through and the order in which I like to do them. For example, I prefer to sew neckbands after sewing the shoulder seams whereas the pattern has you sew them later. I don't think either way is necessarily better, but sewing the neckband is my least favourite part of making a t-shirt so I like to get it out of the way early!

I also made a slight change due to the fact that I was using leftovers and didn't want to buy extra supplies. The sleeves and body are designed to be finished with ribbing, but I didn't have any so instead I lengthened both the sleeves and the body so that I could hem them instead without ending up with tops that were too short. 

The sizing seems to be fairly accurate. For both of my nephews I had to use sizes that were a year or two above their actual ages, but they are both quite tall. My niece is more averagely sized, and her top is the size recommended for her age.

They were all really pleased with their tops when I handed them over, and as you can see proved to be quite exuberant models! The Emi pattern was easy to sew, and I'll definitely be making it again - not least because having made these three tops I probably owe my littlest niece a top too!

2 comments:

  1. These are great! Well done. That pirate fabric is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The pirate fabric has been very hard-working - this is the third garment I've sewn out of the same piece of fabric!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!