Thursday 2 April 2020

Tilly & The Buttons Orla Top Sewing Pattern Review

I'm back again today to share another project that I can tick off my Make Nine list for the year, namely the Tilly & The Buttons Orla top. These are also the first blog photos that I've taken in these new times of social distancing and self-isolation - I won't be seeing my mum (my usual photographer) for the foreseeable future, so you can enjoy my efforts to find places around my flat to take photos with a tripod and timer. I'm very much appreciating the fact that I have large windows that let in lots of light!


At first glance, the Orla top looks like a fairly simple shift top but that simplicity hides some interesting features such as a dipped hem finished with a facing, a pretty snowdrop collar option and an exposed back zip (more on that later!). The top also has a lovely shape, provided by curved French darts in the front and contour and shoulder darts in the back.

I've liked the look of Orla for a while, so I dropped some not very subtle hints that my parents might like to buy the pattern for me for Christmas. They kindly obliged! As my Christmas presents were sitting all around me when I picked my Make Nine projects, it was an obvious choice to include in the list.


Having said that Orla has some nice added details, I actually left most of them out for this one leaving it plain to let the fabric do the talking. 

I like the idea of the collar but I didn't think this fabric needed it, and I think I may be in the minority in this opinion but I've never been completely convinced about exposed zips. I'm not sure why really - they look nice in some garments, but I think they have a tendency to look a bit clunky on a drapey fabric like this one.


I did contemplate giving an exposed zip a try here, but I couldn't find anything that looked like a good colour match in any local shops and I didn't want to order a zip online and have that turn up and also be the wrong colour so I decided to use an invisible zip instead. As I was using an invisible zip, the easiest thing seemed to be to cut the back in two pieces (adding a seam allowance to the centre back) instead of on the fold as in the pattern. I also adjusted the back neck facings accordingly, and did my own thing (basically following the methods I've used when making other tops/dresses) in terms of attaching the facing.


Sewing the Orla top was a breeze. The instructions were clear and easy to follow as far as I could see (although it has to be said that the back neck facing and zip are probably the most complicated part of this pattern and I didn't use those instructions). I particularly like the hem facing - it's a nice touch and makes it really easy to get the nice curved hem. 


In terms of sizing - my measurements put me in a 5 at the bust blending out to a 6 at the hip, and that's the size I used. I also lengthened the top by an inch, just because I liked the length of the unhemmed top when I made a toile so I just wanted to add a little bit extra. I'm happy with the fit - it's nicely shaped but with enough ease around the hips for my liking.


The fabric I used is a viscose twill from Sewisfaction (sadly no longer in stock). It's a gorgeous riot of colour so I'll be able to pair it with lots of things in my wardrobe. It also feels just as good as it looks, which is an added bonus!


As you can probably tell, I'm really happy with my Orla top. It's a lovely style and I think that I'll get a lot of wear out of it. Putting it on makes me smile, and that's definitely very welcome at the moment!

4 comments:

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!