Thursday 26 March 2020

Knitting Round-Up 1/2020

Hello hello! How are you all? Staying safe and well I hope! In these strange times, with significant parts of the world in lockdown trying to curb the spread of COVID-19, I'm finding that all my various crafty projects are providing even more comfort than they usually do. So I thought it would be a good time to come and share some of the knitting projects that I've been working on since the start of the year.


First up is a project that I started last year, but which got put on hold for a couple of months while I was working on various Christmas presents. It's the Tank Top pattern from the book Simple Chic Knits by Karen Miller and Susan Ritchie and the yarn I used is West Yorkshire Spinners Colour Lab DK in the colour Deep Teal.


It's a really simple pattern - lots of stocking stitch knit in two pieces with ribbing at the waist, armholes and neckline. I made the medium size and followed the pattern exactly, apart from knitting 8 rows of ribbing on the neckline instead of 4 to raise the neckline up a bit. I'm glad I did that because it would have been a bit low otherwise. As it is, I'm pleased with how it turned out and it's a nice extra layer for added warmth on a chilly day!


Another project that got carried over from last year is my Siren Song socks. The pattern is by Vikki Bird and I really enjoyed knitting it! It's mostly a fairly plain sock with an interesting slipped stitch detail running in a panel along one edge of each foot. It's designed to work well with variegated yarns, and I think it does a good job of that with the gorgeous yarn that I used, which is "You Do Something To Me" by Mr B's Yarns.


Next up is my Minimania shawl. This is a project that I've been wanting to make for a while, and I'm glad that I finally got around to it! The pattern is by Lisa Hannes, and is really nice to knit. With the different sections being worked in different colours and textures, you're never doing the same thing for too long and you always have an incentive to keep going to get to the next section.


The mini skeins that I used for the middle coloured section are all by Mothy and the Squid and were part of a set that I was lucky enough to win in a giveaway a while ago. The off-white at either end is an undyed skein from Chester Wool. Happily the mix of colours are a really good match for most of my coats!



I also used a couple more of the mini skeins from my Mothy and the Squid winnings, combined with another one by Vicki Brown Designs, to make a Choose Colour Cowl by Maddie Harvey. This is a really lovely pattern designed specifically to use mini skeins or scrap yarn of varying quantities to give you various cowl size options (this is the wide single loop version, made using 3 x 20g mini skeins). You're always striping two colours together throughout the cowl, and it's interesting to see how the different colours play together.


It's a very relaxing pattern to knit, and the finished cowl sits perfectly inside my winter waterproof coat to keep my neck nice and cosy. I'm so pleased with this one that I'm already knitting a second version of the pattern using the leftovers from my Minimania shawl!


One of my Make Nine projects for this year is to try some more colourwork knitting, and I made a start on that with my first attempt at mosaic knitting. These are the Mosaic Mitts from the book Beginner's Guide to Colourwork Knitting by Ella Austin. My main yarn is Coop Knits Socks Yeah in the colour Benitoite, and the contrast is 'Taste the Rainbow' by Glendale Fibres (left over from my Kia socks). This is a fairly economical project - I only used about 25g of my main colour and just 5g of my contrast colour.


I love how they turned out, and really enjoyed watching the pattern emerge as I knitted the mosaic section.


Last but not least is another project from my Make Nine list - and another pattern by Ella Austin. This pattern is the Teign Poncho, and I included it in my Make Nine plans because I wanted to use this as an opportunity to use up the leftover yarn from my Lace Hearts cardi. It worked out perfectly on that front - I had only the tiniest scraps left when I finished!

It was another nice pattern to knit with alternating sections of stocking stitch and simple-but-effective texture. It's also already proving to be very useful at keeping my shoulders and upper back warm when I'm at my desk - they always end up cold, and this little poncho gives me a lovely bit of extra warmth just where I need it without being too bulky.


So I think we can say that my knitting has got off to a fairly successful start this year! And with extra time at home due to social distancing, I think the next couple of weeks/months will be fairly productive for knitting and crafting in general as well. Are you using creativity to keep you calm too?

6 comments:

  1. Success indeed. I love those gloves, what a great way to use up some scraps. Might make some for my Christmas box. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I'm planning to make some of the gloves for presents too!

      Delete
  2. Your needles have certainly been busy so far this year! I particularly love the poncho. The texture looks so satisfying. I used to have something similar in my late teens and wore it loads (a bit of a pain to wear under coats though.)

    I'm usually in my element being a complete introvert but even I'm finding the social isolation really disturbing. I've discovered that I'm actually not as creatively productive as I thought I would be (my house is really clean though, haha!) I cut out a couple of small sewing projects yesterday though so hopefully my sewjo will return soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! If you like the poncho, I think I saw that the designer is offering it for free at the moment if you want to give it a try.
      I know what you mean about not being as productive as you thought you might be - I'm finding it varies by day and I'm either super productive or just can't seem to settle to anything properly. It's definitely helping me to have a couple of different projects so I can work on different things depending on how I'm feeling!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, how do you manage to knit so many gorgeous things! Knitting always takes me ages. I absolutely love the Minimania shawl, I have some yarn for a shawl and like the asymmetric ones, so I'll have to have a look at the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a quick knitter either, but I've got to the point now where my hands feel twitchy if I'm not knitting/doing some embroidery or something similar when I'm watching TV or anything so I get through quite a bit!
      I can definitely recommend the Minimania shawl - hope you like it if you give it a try!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!