Sunday 29 December 2013

Horseshoe cable headband

Here's the first of the secret projects that I was working on before Christmas - a cable headband that I knitted for my sister, which she very obligingly modelled for me to show you here...


I used the horseshoe cable headband pattern from sheilalikestoknit on Etsy. I've never knitted cables before but I felt like a challenge so I decided to give it a go, and I'm glad I did - although the pattern was so easy to follow that it didn't really feel like a challenge in the end!


As with most headbands, it was pretty quick to knit and therefore satisfying to see it grow and watch the horseshoes appearing after each cable row. The border alongside the horseshoes is worked in seed stitch - so again nice and simple, but I think the texture it gives the headband is really effective.


I used Stylecraft Special Aran in Aster, which was lovely to knit with and is a great colour. The pattern uses two strands of yarn held together which means that the finished result is nice and thick so hopefully will keep my sister nice and warm!


The only problem with making this as a present? I now want one myself because I like this better than the headbands I made for myself in the autumn so it's gone straight back on my to-knit list - it's a good thing this is a quick project!


7 comments:

  1. Oh Ruth, it's lovely! Well done you! The blue is gorgeous and really shows off the cables beautifully. Cable projects are really easy once you get going.

    Thank you for your pattern purchase. I know you have many choices when buying patterns, so, thank you for shopping Creative Design! Best to you and yours in 2014!
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila! Really glad that you like it and that I've done your pattern justice - it was really easy to work from and I'll be making another one for myself soon. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. The headband is amazing, it looks so soft, warm and cosy and your sister obviously loves it. It suits her perfectly. I can fully understand that you are tempted to make one for yourself :) Your cables and seed stitch look really professional as well and I like that the cables look 3D. Have a happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I'm definitely going to have to make one for myself - I know I made a couple of headbands in the autumn but this one does look more professional, although it was actually pretty easy to knit! Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  3. Wow, lucky sister. You have to hake one for yourself now it is gorgeous. Perfect for this freezing weather. Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, definitely planning to make one for myself - my ears get really cold when it's windy so it's the only sensible thing to do really! Happy new year to you too!

      Delete
  4. Seems like an ideal band for me which really helps me alot while daily morning run.
    meet and greet heathrow

    airport parking stansted

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!