Thursday 7 November 2013

Shopper Bag from Sew!

Today is my sister's birthday so, given that she'll have opened her presents by now, I thought I'd show you one of the things I made for her - a cute little shoulder bag...


I used the Shopper Bag pattern from Sew! by Cath Kidston, which was actually the book that was responsible for getting me into sewing (I always enjoyed making things and had been talking about possibly buying a sewing machine for ages, so my Mum bought me the book for Christmas a couple of years ago to encourage me to stop talking about it and actually do it!). I hadn't made anything from the book for a while, but I remembered the bag patterns and thought that this one would be just right for what I had in mind.


The material was from the remnants bin in John Lewis a few months ago (my sister was with me at the time and said it would make a nice bag, so I decided there and then to keep this for her birthday present) and I had just enough to make the bag and the strap. The lining is a light blue chambray, which was also in the remnants bin at the same time - some good finds that day!

The book says to use webbing for the strap, which I probably would have preferred, but I couldn't find any locally (having been so convinced that I would find some that I left it too late to order online) so I improvised and interfaced the material and it worked out fine. 


The pattern is quite simple but effective and the bag is a good size for all the essentials, so a good choice to make for a present I think.

I'm now off to carry on with some more selfish sewing - see you soon!

Linking up to:

6 comments:

  1. A great present. I have this book am off to find the pattern! So lovely that she 'chose' the fabric I love the lining too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's a pretty quick and simple pattern, definitely good for presents!

      Delete
    2. Ruth, you really inspired me here. Whipped one up last night in a beautiful pink silk. Perfect for my Aunt's birthday. I'd been scratching my head wondering what to get her. So thank you very much.

      Delete
    3. Glad to be of service and provide inspiration - and I hope that your Aunt likes her present!

      Delete
  2. That's a lovely bag! I am sure your sister is very happy to get such a great present :) I am going to make a bag for my sister as well, as a Christmas present. I bought already a cute little Matryoshka fabric and just have to look for the right pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure your bag for your sister will be lovely whatever pattern you choose - Matryoshka prints are always cute!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!