Thursday 18 April 2013

Prize-winning cake!

This week's major achievement has most definitely been, rather unexpectedly, winning Best in Show at my WI Bake Off. We're not a very traditional WI (last month we were street dancing at our meeting) but some traditions, namely baking, are worth preserving so there was a huge array of cakes, bakes, biscuits and brownies on offer. I was fairy sure my offering would be overlooked because it didn't look particularly glamorous and didn't involve any chocolate, but it seems that being a bit different paid off on this occasion. Here's my winning creation...


It's a courgette and lemon cake from the Good Food website. I'd only made it once before but it went down really well that time and even better this time it seems! The only change I made from the recipe the second time around was that I creamed together the butter and sugar before adding the other ingredients at the start this time as the first time I made the cake it took forever to get the butter all mixed in - creaming the butter and sugar first seemed to work much better as far as I'm concerned.

I think the courgettes keep the cake light but moist, and there's quite a lot of lemon in there so it's almost refreshing compared to lots of cakes. And with all that courgette and lemon it must almost count as one of your five a day. Well, maybe not but never mind, it's still delicious. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!