Wednesday 2 June 2021

Tilly & The Buttons Lyra Dress Review

When a particularly lovely looking sewing pattern is released, sometimes you just have to jump on the bandwagon and make one don't you? That's what happened for me with the Lyra dress, the latest offering from Tilly & The Buttons. The short version is that I love it, but read on if you want my review...

Lyra is a shirtwaist dress with a blousy bodice with button front opening, two-piece collar and stand, pockets and options for either short sleeves or full-length sleeves with elasticated cuffs. It also has a gathered skirt that can either be left simple at knee length or have a midi panel added for a tiered look. For my version I used the short sleeves and tiered skirt, and I think that makes a great summer dress.

The pattern is available in sizes from 30/24/33" to 60/53/61" (bust/waist/hip in both cases).

The Lyra dress is rated as being for Improvers, which I'd say is fair. There are quite a few steps to go through, but none of them individually are that complicated and the instructions are very thorough and detailed to help you along the way. 

That said, I also like the fact that the instructions are illustrated with really clear photos that allow you to quickly see what each step involves so you don't have to read everything in full if you have a bit more experience. 

I really enjoyed sewing my Lyra dress. As I said before, it isn't the speediest pattern to sew, but no one step takes too long and it's nice to work through them all gradually.

My measurements put me in a size 5 at the bust and between a 5 and 6 at the waist and hips but I made a straight size 5 - there's a fair bit of ease in the waist, and plenty of extra space around the hips so I knew that would work out fine. I also added 1.5" to the length of the bodice, which is fairly standard for me.


As I'd added extra length to the bodice, I also added in an extra button and altered the button spacing. I do this for most buttoned bodices - both because of lengthening them and to make sure that there's always a button at my bust point so there's no risk of gaping.

The only other change I made was to use fabric belt loops instead of thread loops, which is just a personal preference.

The fabric I used is a printed lightweight denim from Croft Mill - I love the pretty print of daisies and flowers, and it's a lovely fabric for this pattern. It's easy to work with, but with just enough drape to hang nicely. Croft Mill have lots of other lightweight denim prints if you're looking for something similar.

I also added a cute label from Pink Coat Club to liven up the insides - this design is currently sold out but Joy has lots of other great designs to choose from.

So to summarise my review - this is a great sewing pattern! The sizing is good, the instructions are thorough and it's fun to sew. Most importantly, it creates a lovely dress that's beautifully swishy and comfy to wear. What more could you want?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!