Tuesday 8 June 2021

Tilly & The Buttons Lotta - the knit version

 Usually I don't blog projects using patterns that I've already reviewed - there often isn't much to add to my original thoughts - but sometimes things are different enough to warrant their own post. That's the case for this Tilly & The Buttons Lotta dress, because it's made in a knit fabric, whereas my original Lotta dress used a woven cotton.

One of the things that first drew me to the Lotta dress was that it was designed to be made in either knit or woven fabrics. I had my eye out all winter for some jersey to make a cosy long-sleeved version, but nothing ever quite seemed to be what I wanted. Instead, I picked up a lovely spotty jersey from Threadquarters (sadly it's no longer in stock) in the perfect shade of sky blue early this year and squirreled it away for a summer dress instead.

Now that the weather has finally caught up with the season it's meant to be here in the UK, I thought I'd better get it sewn up and enjoy wearing it while the sun's shining!

The knit version of the Lotta dress is sewn in exactly the same way as the woven one, with the exception of the neckline being finished with a neckband rather than a facing - and using stretch stitches/a ballpoint needle of course.

The fabric suggestions on the pattern recommend drapey jersey, stretch velvet or lightweight French terry, but this is a fairly standard cotton jersey (a bit of drape, but nowhere near as much as a viscose jersey would have) and it works nicely I think. 

One of my favourite things about this version compared with my original one (which I also really like, and have worn a lot already) is that the jersey is slightly heavier than the woven cotton I used and it gives the skirt a bit of added body meaning that it moves beautifully as you walk.

My woven cotton Lotta dress is already really comfortable, but the jersey fabric takes Lotta into definite secret pyjamas territory - it's so comfy!

I used the same size and adjustments as in my original version - if you want more details you can read my blog post here.

So all in all, I really love how this dress turned out. It's possibly my favourite shade of blue, it was an easy and enjoyable project to sew, and it's a great dress to wear. I can definitely see more jersey Lotta dresses in my future!

2 comments:

  1. That is beautiful! A lovely colour and it looks like you're really enjoying wearing it :) Nice to see some sunshine somewhere in the world...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's nice to have some sunshine - May was so wet and dismal here!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!