Wednesday 2 January 2019

Make Nine: 2018 Review and 2019 Plans

I've enjoyed taking part in the Make Nine challenge (hosted by Rochelle New) over the last couple of years. I'm the kind of person who likes compiling lists and devising plans, and I always have a plethora of ideas for future creations swirling round in my head so it's always fun to come up with a list of projects that I want to tackle over the course of the year. Admittedly, I haven't yet succeeded in making all nine projects, but that's fine and just means I have room for improvement still. Here's how I got on with 2018's list.


1. Closet Case Carolyn Pyjamas - done! And they were one of my favourite projects of last year.

2. Finish my scrappy hexagon quilt - almost! The quilt top is done, and I've started removing the paper hexagons so hopefully it'll be a finished quilt in the not too distant future.

3. Vogue 8577 - done! Another winner - I love wearing this dress.

4. Cloth Habit Watson Bra - done! Not a roaring success, but it's always good to try something new.

5. Butterick 6446 - done! I'm pleased with how this dress turned out.

6. Knickers -  done! Like the Watson bra, these could have turned out better - I'd like to try making some more knickers in the future.

7. Lovely cardigan by Kim Hargreaves - done! This definitely wasn't a quick project, but it was worth the effort.

8. Wainthropp cardigan by Andi Satterlund - not yet! I'd still like to try this pattern at some point, but I didn't manage to fit it in this year, and other patterns that I already own have jumped ahead of it in my queue at the moment.

9. Colourwork yoke sweater from Simply Crochet magazine issue 66 - abandoned! I've decided for now that I'm going to keep my crocheting simple and probably stick to non-garment projects, mainly because my crochet is always stupidly tight and comes out smaller than it's meant to be no matter what size hook I use so I think I'd struggle to make a garment that fitted me nicely.

Now, here are my plans for 2019 ...


1. Simplicity 8014 shirt dress. This one is probably going to be one of my first projects of the year so hopefully you should be seeing it soon!

2. McCalls 7848 coat. I'm on the look-out for some nice coating fabric to use for this one (possibly pink - anyone got any tips?). I'm planning to make view D, but shortened to knee length.

3. Lace Hearts Cardi by Martin Storey. I've got some lovely yarn ready to use for this one - I'll be casting it on any day now!

4. Shawl(s) from The Shawl Society Season 1. My parents gave me this lovely book by Helen Stewart for Christmas and I'd like to knit at least one of the shawls from it this year.

5. Fold-up sewing folio. This is the project pictured on the front of Stitched Sewing Organizers by Aneela Hoey (my review of the book is here) - I know I'd find it really useful, and it would be a good way of using up a bit of fabric left over from other projects.

6. Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers. After the success of my Carrie trousers last year, I thought I'd give some more trousers a try.

7. This is the yarn left over from from my crochet blanket. I have almost as much of all the colours (apart from white) left over as I actually used to make the blanket so it deserves to come out of this basket! It may be used to make another blanket, or it may turn into something completely different - I'm still deciding at the moment. If I do make another blanket, I'm not going to put pressure on myself to finish it this year, but I would like to make good progress with whatever I decide to do!

8. Something  a bit different here - watercolour! I bought the book The Joy of Watercolor by Emma Block a couple of months ago but have yet to actually try painting anything. I don't expect to be a particularly talented watercolour artist, but I'd like to give it a try.

9. Embroidery. I have a couple of Dandelyne mini hoops (I got mine from Cloud Craft), as well as the book Mandalas to Embroider, and a Nancy Nicholson teapot embroidery kit so I'd definitely like to put them to good use and do some more embroidery this year.

This year's list is a little different from some of my previous ones. I've picked projects that I already own at least some if not all of the supplies for, and I'm going to try to buy only fabrics/yarn/patterns that I need or that I really love. Although I'm definitely not banning myself from buying things, because that would be the surest way to prompt a shopping spree! 

I'm also making a conscious effort to dedicate some more time to projects other than sewing clothes. Don't get me wrong, there will still be dressmaking happening around here - just maybe at a slightly slower pace than in previous years. Much though I could happily keep sewing all the pretty dresses (and fully support anyone else who does that!), my handmade wardrobe is already fairly well stocked and I don't want to end up drowning in clothes!

I'm excited to make a start on these plans now! How about you - have you made a Make Nine list for 2019?

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on accomplishing most of your 2018 Make Nine goals and achieving a well-provisioned handmade wardrobe! Shifting focus to other hobbies sounds like a great way to keep from making more clothes than you can regularly wear or burning out on garment sewing. I've done a bit of cross-stitch over the past year and dipped a toe into embroidery, so I'll be watching your embroidery adventures with interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did a fair bit of embroidery a couple of years ago but have been a bit distracted from it since I started sewing clothes so it'll be good to give it another try!

      Delete
  2. I love that Simplicity shirtdress, and shall look forward to seeing it finished. Also love that coat pattern, it's gorgeous! Sherwood fabrics is very good for coat fabric, and you can order fabric samples from them. The same for Minerva Crafts. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne! I've done a toile for the shirtdress and it's looking good, so I'll be cutting that out soon! And thanks for the fabric recommendations. As it happens, I came across some coating from Textile Express just after I'd published this post but I'll remember your recommendations for another time!

      Delete
  3. Sorry!! Also just thought of Montreux Fabric for coat fabric. Below is a link to their coat fabric page, and I used this fabric in red for my Rumana coat, and can confirm that it is gorgous! (They do samples too). Lynne

    https://www.montreuxfabrics.co.uk/coating/wool-coating

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on completing so much of your Make Nine! I love the idea of taking part but know the reality of it just doesn't work for me. I'm too slow and a long to-do list makes me anxious, haha.

    I love the look of the lacey hearts cardigan. That's going to look lovely paired with all your pretty dresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I know what you mean about getting anxious about long to-do lists - I definitely have that problem with long lists of things that I HAVE to do, but somehow Make Nine doesn't affect me in the same way. And I like ticking things off lists so that appeals to me!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!