(You'll be glad to hear I'm not modelling for you today - the shorts are just a bit too short for me to want to do that! Also, sorry about some of the colour differences going on between the photos, this shade of blue seems to be particularly tricky to photograph accurately!)
So how did I manage to make pyjamas almost for free? The pattern is the third one I've used from And Sew To Bed (my pyjama trousers are here, and summer dressing gown is here), which I got for Christmas from my sister, so that cost me nothing. As for the material, it's the leftovers from my Sureau dress (I just had enough to squeeze out all the pieces, yay!), so although I did have to pay for it at some point I think I've already got my money's worth out of that piece of material from the amount I've worn my Sureau dress, so I'm counting the material as being free too! Plus it means there's one less thing in my growing material stash, which is probably not a bad thing.
The set is pretty easy to sew up, but with enough interesting details to still keep it nice and not boring - like these pretty pintucks on the camisole top. The pattern also includes instructions for adding lace edging along the neckline and around the bottom of the shorts which would make things even prettier, but I didn't have any and was being impatient and didn't want to wait till I could get some, so I left it out, and I think my set looks just fine without it.
The camisole is slightly wider at the bottom than I had expected it to be based on the photo in the book, but that may partly be down to the material I used - the pattern recommends lightweight cotton, whereas mine's probably somewhere between lightweight and mediumweight and not particularly drapey, so maybe the wideness at the hem would be less pronounced with a different material.
The camisole straps are secured using a bra loop and slider set, which is nice because it means they're adjustable and I think makes the finish look a bit more professional. The instructions in the book weren't 100% clear on what should be attached where for the slider, and the diagrams are also not the best in the world, so I ended up getting out one of my bras to check that what I thought I needed to do was definitely right - thankfully it was so maybe the instructions were OK after all!
The shorts are just a shortened version of the pyjama trousers that I've already made, so that made things nice and simple for me. The back of the waistband is elasticated and then there's a drawstring at the front, which you're meant to make fabric ties for. At this point I decided to have a rummage in my little stash of ribbon and see if I had anything that might be suitable, and happily came upon this length of blue ribbon. Not only was it pretty much the perfect shade, but there was exactly the amount left that I needed for the drawstring - obviously it was meant to be!
All in all, the pyjamas are comfy and cool to wear, which is the most important thing for summer pyjamas, and have some nice little details thrown in to keep them pretty and interesting. So, I think for something that cost me almost nothing, this project has got to be a winner! And now I might get back to the pretty dresses...