I'm sure the whole of the sewing world has heard about Sew Dolly Clackett, which is being organised by Sarah of Rhinestones and Telephones in honour of the lovely Roisin's upcoming wedding. I'm a big fan of Roisin's amazing array of dresses, so as soon as I heard about the contest, I knew I'd have to take part. Plus I'd been meaning to make another Emery, so this seemed like the perfect occasion to do so and join in with congratulating Roisin in the process!
I'd also been eyeing up this fantastic beach hut print cotton from Ditto Fabrics for a while - I love a trip to the seaside so the combination of beach huts and sailing boats, and the cheerful colours, really appealed to me. It also seemed like it would work nicely with the Emery dress, and I thought it would fit in well for Sew Dolly Clackett, so I set to work.
I'm not entirely sure why I waited so long to sew a second Emery, because I love my first version and it's a shape that I find really flattering. Never mind, I've corrected the error of my ways now and I'm already planning a third version.
For this version, I made view A but left off the bow - I love the idea of the bow but I just didn't think it would work with this print. Like last time, I added an inch to the bodice and I also used a smaller hem on the skirt. I didn't think about the length of the dress before I started sewing because I know my first version is just right, but I forgot to consider that I wear my first version with black tights, and I prefer summer dresses that I wear without tights to be just a little bit longer. With the tiny hem that I used, this dress ended up being pretty much right but I'll probably add an inch or two to the length of the skirt for version 3.
I also used a regular zip for this version instead of an invisible one, partly because that's what I had here and partly because I had a limited amount of time to finish this before I went off on holiday and past experience shows that I can sew regular zips much more quickly than invisible ones!
I'm really happy I made the effort to match up the pattern across the centre back seam - I think I must have been inspired by all the talk about pattern matching on the Great British Sewing Bee or something! I couldn't get it to match the whole way down the centre back of the skirt without going off the grainline of the fabric but, without wanting to boast, I think I did a pretty good job on the back of the bodice.
(Excuse the weird crease around the waistline here - it's not usually there, I'd been wearing the dress for a whole day at this point!)
All in all, I LOVE this dress - it fits really nicely and the fabric is so fun it just makes me smile. There may have to be some more Dolly Clackett style dresses in my future if the feel-good factor of this dress is anything to go by!