Sunday 20 October 2013

Deer & Doe Sureau Dress

Another completed dressmaking project to show you! This time it's the Sureau dress from Deer & Doe, and here it is...


This is another great beginners' pattern (which is printed on proper paper, not tissue like most patterns - definitely a plus in my book because I'm always worried about ripping patterns!), and the end result is probably my best completed garment so far. The instructions were possibly not quite as thorough as some of the others that I've used, but they were still really clear and easy to follow. The sew-along that Anna from Paunnet ran is also really helpful if you need some pointers and tips on making adjustments.


I lengthened the bodice of my dress by 2 inches (I'm about 5 ft 9 and long in the body), but apart from that I followed the instructions and pattern exactly, and I think the fit turned out quite well. 

As buttonholes are still on the (long) list of skills I need to master, I love the fake button placket - it gives me the opportunity to use pretty buttons and make things look more professional while putting off learning slightly scary new skills until another day!


The fabric I used is cotton and, like the poplin I used for my Pattern Runway dress, was a bargain at half price in the John Lewis sale. I bought the cute little buttons in a little local shop and, although it doesn't look like it in this photo, they match the colour of the spots on the fabric really well.

Another good thing about this dress? It's great with tights and boots, but not so heavy that I won't be able to wear it on slightly warmer days too, as I proved on a day trip to the beach at Lyme Regis yesterday...


Sadly it wasn't that warm (as you can probably tell, it was VERY windy) but, being the slightly crazy person that I am, I still felt the need to go paddling in the sea - here I'm waiting for my legs to dry off so I could return them to the warmth of tights and boots again!


So overall, another success! And the best thing about sewing my own clothes so far? I'm too distracted by choosing my next pattern/fabric combination to be lusting after expensive clothes that I can't afford in the shops/on the Boden website. Does this mean I've officially caught the dressmaking bug?








9 comments:

  1. Ooh! I do love paddling! It's a bit disappointing here because the sea is warm so you don't get that sharp shock! Very glad to hear you've got the sewing bug because you make fantastic clothes! Bright colours really suit you and this dress is no exception! I've not tried this one yet, but it's on my (very long) list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks - you're very kind. There'll definitely be more colourful clothes being made in my future, although I've realised that everything I've made so far had been various shades of blue so I'm having a self-imposed ban on blue for my next project. And yes - paddling really isn't the same when the water's warm is it?!

      Delete
    2. Your dress looks great, LOL about the button placket, I'm avoiding buttonholes for as long as possible too. Not heard of Doe and Dear, off to Google them now. Fingers crossed this post appears third time lucky?

      Delete
    3. Thank you! Good to know I'm not the only one putting off button holes. It does seem like it was third time lucky - glad you were able to comment this time! Hopefully my blog will behave itself from now on.

      Delete
  2. your dress is perfect! and I love that fabric!
    I'm channelling my inner dressmaker through children's clothes as they are so much smaller, but it's also helping me to stop loitering around the boden page!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, was really pleased to find lovely fabric in the sale - always good to get a bargain. Haha, the Boden page is dangerous isn't it?! Although it's not managing to beat the fun of sewing at the moment.

      Delete
  3. It turned out beautiful, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same buttons :) And they match your dress perfectly! I haven't come around yet to sew a Deer & Doe pattern, but seeing your lovely dress and reading that there is even an sew-along - I probably should :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought they were the same! This is the only Deer & Doe pattern I've made so far but I really liked it and have had quite a few compliments on the dress so I think there may be more in my future sewing plans!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!