Monday, 6 May 2013

Making an apron

Recently I was asked to make an apron - not something I've ever done before but seemed like it should be pretty straightforward so I thought I could give it a go. This weekend I thought I'd see if it was as easy as I thought it would be and, thankfully, it turned out that I was right!

I've had a large remnant of a really good quality, thick cotton in a nice cheerful bright check print in my fabric stash for a while now waiting to be put to a good use and I thought that this could be it. Conveniently, I also had a thinner yellow cotton that goes quite nicely with it that I could use to make the neck band and waist ties so that seemed like a sign that it was meant to be.

To make the apron, all I did was to draw around my own apron and add on a couple of extra centimetres on each side to allow for hemming. I did this with my apron folded in half lengthways, and then cut the material out on the fold to make sure that the two sides were the same shape - and it seemed to work quite well.

I also added a patch pocket...

...again just following the shape used on my own apron, with double stitching around the sides to make it nice and secure.

For the main apron, I used a double hem the whole way round and two lines of stitching - one at the edge of the material and one at the edge of the hem.... make sure that it's strong and that the ties and neck band are firmly secured. And that's all it took! Here's the finished apron...

Not bad for a first attempt I don't think!

No comments:

Post a comment

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!