Thursday 22 August 2024

Tilly & the Buttons Nell Dress

I like a sewing pattern that gives you plenty of options (always good to get your money's worth!), so the Nell blouse and dress that was released by Tilly & the Buttons earlier this summer appealed to me straightaway. I particularly liked the two-tone gingham dress shown in the pattern photos, so that's the version that I chose to make first.

Nell is a mix and match blouse and dress pattern, with options for a straight or peplum blouse or knee-length or midi-length dresses with gathered skirts. It also gives you the choice of short, bracelet-length, flutter or puff sleeves, and a button front closure or faux bow ties with hidden snaps. Last but not least, there are optional patch pockets that can be added to the bodice or skirt. 

My version uses the short sleeves, midi skirt and skirt pockets.

The pattern size range covers bust measurements from 30 to 60" and hips from 33" to 61".

I enjoyed sewing my Nell dress and it seemed to come together quite quickly. The instructions are very detailed and illustrated with clear photos. I found them easy to follow, and I didn't have any trouble at all when making my dress.

If I had one complaint, it's that the pattern doesn't include the full skirt pieces - it gives you the pattern piece for the peplum for the blouse with instructions on how much extra length to add for the knee-length or midi skirts. It's a small point in some ways and I understand the argument about saving paper, but I just feel like if you're buying a paper pattern, you shouldn't have to draw out your own pieces - even if drawing them out is fairly simple.

When it comes to sizing, I think Nell comes up on the large side. It is described as having a relaxed fit bodice, but when I looked at the finished garment measurements I was fairly sure that making the recommended size would give me a dress that would be too oversized for my liking. My measurements put me between a 5 and 6 at the bust and hips and pretty much a 5 at the waist but I actually made a straight size 4. That's given me a very comfy and relaxed fit, and I think any larger would have felt too big for my taste.

I made a quick toile of the bodice and it came out unusually short. I do generally have to lengthen bodices because I'm slightly taller than average (about 5'9"), but the Nell bodice was particularly short on me - it was closer to empire line than waist length. I added 3" and that sorted the problem! The midi skirt is a good length though, and my skirt is the measurements recommended in the pattern.

The only other alteration I made was to use an extra button due to my added length.

The fabric that I used is a Robert Kauffman quilting cotton that I bought recently from Rainbow Fabrics. I really love the combination of blues, purples and greens in the print, and the gold grid over the top makes it a bit different to other fabrics. I know some people don't like using quilting cottons for garments, but I think they work fine for some patterns - including the Nell dress. It was a breeze to sew, and feels nice to wear.

All in all, Nell was an enjoyable pattern to sew and I'm pleased with the finished dress. It's very comfortable and easy to wear, and I think it'll be a useful addition to my wardrobe. I may well make more versions in the future too - I should probably try some of the other options after all!

2 comments:

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!