Thursday 23 June 2022

Itch to Stitch Lemont Top Sewing Pattern Review

Sewing patterns with interesting details always appeal to me, so it's no surprise that I bought and made the Itch to Stitch Lemont top not long after it was released.

In some fabrics Lemont could look like a fairly ordinary woven top, but hopefully the gingham that I've used here helps show off some of its more interesting features. The top has princess seams and dolman sleeves, with the sides of the front and back bodice and the sleeves all being formed by one single large pattern piece. The sleeves are gently puffed - they're gathered both at the shoulder and into a little bias binding hem band. The neck is also finished with bias binding.

The pattern has regular and full bust pattern pieces, and comes in bust sizes from 3118" (smallest regular bust size) to 63" (largest full bust size).

All the binding and the slip-on style of the top means that you don't need any notions other than thread - there are no fastenings, no interfacing, and there are pattern pieces for cutting the bias binding for the sleeves and neck from the fabric. 

You would need to consider the style of the top when picking your fabric - the way the side panels/sleeves are cut means that you can't use directional prints because either the front or back side panel would end up with the print running upside down. You'd also need to have something that works well on the bias, because the side panels end up being on the bias where they meet the centre front/back panels. I think it's a style that works particularly well in ginghams/plaid/stripes to show off the style lines.

I've made a few Itch to Stitch patterns now (read my Glenelly top review here and my Kalispell dress review here) and the instructions have always been excellent. The same was true for the Lemont top - the instructions are detailed and easy to follow, with clear diagrams to accompany them. I didn't have any problems while I was sewing my top. 

It's rated as a beginner+ pattern, which I think is fair - it's not a complicated pattern, but you might want to have a couple of simple patterns under your belt before you try this because of dealing with fabric on the bias and the gathering into the sleeve hem band.

I made the size recommended for my measurements (size 10, regular bust) with my standard lengthening adjustment (I'm 5'9" and lengthened the top by 1.5"). I think it worked out nicely - the fit is comfortable without feeling oversized.

The fabric I used is a yarn-dyed cotton gingham that I bought from Simple Life Fabrics. It's a lovely quality cotton, and as I mentioned above I think that gingham works really well for this pattern.

All in all, I'm really pleased with my Lemont top - it was a breeze to sew and I think it will be lovely to wear this summer. I'd happily recommend the pattern if you're looking for a simple but interesting project!

2 comments:

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!