Wednesday 6 April 2022

Closet Core Patterns Core T-shirt

When you finish sewing a pattern for the first time and immediately cut out a second version, that's a fairly good verdict isn't it? That's what I've just done with the Core t-shirt, a free pattern from Closet Core Patterns.

The Core t-shirt is a classic crew neck t-shirt. It has a slightly boxy silhouette and comes in two lengths (semi-cropped and hip length) with two sleeve options (short or three-quarter), as well as optional features of a patch pocket and a back neck and shoulder binding. For both of my versions, I've used the semi-cropped length with the short sleeves and added the shoulder/neckline binding. 

It comes in two size ranges - 0 to 20 (full bust 31" to 46") and 14 to 32 (full bust 42" to 60"). 

The pattern was fun to sew. The instructions are really detailed and I found them easy to follow. I have made a fair few t-shirts before so was familiar with a lot of the steps, but the neckline binding was new to me and that was also no problem. You do need to be precise and take your time with that step, but as long as you follow the instructions you shouldn't have any trouble.

The binding is actually one of my favourite things about the pattern - it gives a really neat finish to the neckline, and as a bonus is a perfect place for adding a pretty label. The two that I've used here both come from This Is For Makers - I'd definitely recommend their labels as they're excellent quality and come in lovely designs.

I made a size 12 at the shoulders/bust blending out to a 14 at the waist hip. They're the sizes recommended for my measurements and I think the fit worked out nicely. It's boxy as intended, but it's not at all baggy. I added 1.5 inches to the length of the semi-cropped version - I'm about 5'9" so lengthening patterns is very standard for me.

The fabrics that I've used for my t-shirts are both coincidentally left over from making pyjamas last year. The paler pink geometric flowers originally came from Simple Life Fabrics, and the brighter pink with the ladies printed on it I'm pretty sure came from Sew Totally Me. I really like both fabrics, so I'm glad that I've been able to squeeze a second project out of them!

As I've already sewn two versions of the Core t-shirt, it's probably no surprise to hear that I really like this pattern. It's enjoyable to sew and comfy to wear, with a really nice fit. If you're on the lookout for a classic crew neck t-shirt, I'd definitely recommend giving this one a try. Thank you Closet Core Patterns for the great free sewing pattern!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!