Wednesday 9 September 2020

McCall's 7131 Culottes

Red trousers might not immediately sound like a wardrobe essential, but recently I'd been feeling like I could do with some. Then I saw McCall's 7131 was included with last month's issue of Love Sewing magazine, and decided that if I was going to have statement red trousers then I might as well go even more dramatic and have bright red culottes instead.

McCall's 7131 is a pattern for loose fitting trousers, shorts or culottes, with side front pockets, front pleats, a flat front waistband and elasticated back waistband. It has four different length variations, as well a the option to use an overlay. I made view C, which is the second longest option.

Sewing the culottes was pretty simple. The instructions are fairly standard for a commercial sewing pattern. They're concise and not particularly hand-holdy, but I didn't have any trouble understanding them and the culottes came together easily. 

The pattern calls for you to sew channels in the back waistband and use 4 pieces of narrow elastic, but I was feeling slightly lazy and realised that some 1.5" elastic that I had in my stash was just about the right size for the casing without the channels so I decided to use that instead of the narrow elastic. Other than that I did everything else following the instructions.

If you're making this pattern, I'd definitely recommend consulting the finished garment measurements (printed on the pattern pieces themselves) when choosing what size to make. There's quite a lot of ease built into the pattern - if I remember rightly I think there's about 3" of positive ease at the waist. My measurements (waist 32", hips 42") would put me in a size 18 according to the pattern's size chart, but I actually made a 16 and also cut my elastic to be slightly shorter than the pattern calls for and that worked out well. If I'd made an 18 as recommended, they'd have been far too loose at the waist.

The fabric that I used for my M7131 is some red viscose twill from Like Sew Amazing. It's a lovely fabric with a really nice drape. Viscose twill has a little more body to it than viscose challis, and I think it's a perfect weight of fabric for this pattern. Plus at £7 a metre, it's a bit of a bargain!

I think that my idea to make some red trousers/culottes was definitely a good one. I've got lots of tops that I can wear with them, they're beautifully swishy to walk about in and the elastic back makes them really comfy. So maybe red culottes are a wardrobe essential after all - they are for me at least! How about you?

4 comments:

  1. I love the drape of these, perfect for billowing culottes! They match your top perfectly too. I love the idea of culottes but ultimately know I don't suits midi lengths sadly. Knee length culottes don't seem like as much fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo! I've got some knee length Winslow culottes that I made in viscose a couple of years ago and they're fun! Not quite so dramatic as these perhaps, but lovely in their own right!

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for all the photos and information - it was invaluable for helping make my culottes. Particularly the sizing guidance! Just had fun trying to adjust the pattern to make knee length ones. Will probably make a longer pair later in the season too. They are certainly fun to construct - pretty straight forward considering I'd never made clothing in quite this way before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - glad that the post was helpful to you!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!