Tuesday 2 January 2018

The Last Sewing of 2017 & Plans for 2018

Happy New Year! I hope that 2018 is off to a good start for you, and that you had a lovely festive period before that if you were celebrating. Before Christmas becomes too much of a distant memory, I thought I'd pop by to share some of the presents that I sewed for my family, and also talk about some of my crafty plans for the next 12 months.


First up we have a couple of dresses for my little niece. I used patterns from Puperita for both of these. The one on the left is the Duckie dress, but without the front pocket and shortened so that it's more of a long top/tunic length for wearing with leggings. On the right is a pinafore dress, which is reversible (the other side is some aqua blue needlecord). I shortened this dress as well - it's still pretty much knee length on my niece (who's 1 and average height), but I cut it at the 3 month length instead of 12 months so you might want to check the length if you're using this pattern - it would have been really long if I'd used the 12 month length. Other than that, these patterns were both really nice to sew and I'm sure I'll be using them again in the future.


For my nephew, I made a pair of pyjamas. He loves vehicles of any kind, so this jersey from Fabrics Galore went down well with him! The pattern I used is New Look 6237. I've made both the trousers/shorts and t-shirt separately for my nephew before so I was familiar with the pattern and could stitch it up fairly quickly - always good when there are lots of presents to make!


Continuing on the pyjama theme, I made a pair of pyjama trousers for my sister-in-law using some spotty jersey from Maud's Fabric Finds. I used Simplicity 2116, the same pattern as when I made a whole stack of pyjama trousers last Christmas. These trousers came in handy for my sister-in-law to change into after we got drenched in pouring rain on a Christmas afternoon walk!


For my sister, I whipped up a New Look 6217 top. This one really looks a lot better when worn than when on the hanger, but I didn't get a chance to get a photo of my sister modelling it. If you want to get an idea of what it looks like on, I made three different versions of this back in 2016 - the blog post is here. The viscose I used this time was from Sew Over It, but it doesn't seem to be in stock anymore unfortunately.


Lastly, I made a Tilly & the Buttons Françoise dress for my mum. Helpfully, my mum is a similar size to me so she she could try on my stripey Françoise dress, which meant that I didn't have to worry that it wouldn't fit. The fabric for this one is a dogtooth ponte roma from Sew Essential - it's really nice quality and perfect for this pattern. I really love the Françoise made in ponte roma; it means that the dress is super comfy, but it can also look quite smart at the same time.

Now that we've got last year's sewing out of the way, let's talk a little bit about some of my plans for 2018 - here's my #2018makenine list:


1. Closet Case Carolyn Pyjamas - these were on my Make Nine list last year, but I didn't quite get time to make them. Hopefully I'll be able to put that right this year!

2. Finish my scrappy hexagon quilt - another project carried over from 2017! I made good progress last year, so hopefully I will actually be able to finish it this year.

3. Vogue 8577 - another one that's been in my stash for a while and needs to be used!

4. Cloth Habit Watson Bra - I've got a bra making kit waiting to be used and plenty of knit scraps, so there's no excuse not to give this a try.

5. Butterick 6446 - I've got a wedding to go to later in the year, and I think a maxi version of this could be fun to make for that.

6. Knickers! This is the free Megan Nielsen Acacia pattern. See previous comment about knit scraps!

7. Lovely cardigan by Kim Hargreaves - way more cables than I've knit in one project before, so this could be a challenge.

8. Wainthropp cardigan by Andi Satterlund - I struggled with the only other cardigan I've knit seamlessly because it seemed to make my wrists hurt, but I love pretty much all of Andi Satterlund's designs and I've altered how I knit in the past year (I used to knit in a particularly awkward self-developed manner!) so I'm going to give it another try and hope it goes better this time.

9. Colourwork yoke sweater from Simply Crochet magazine issue 66 - I've never done any crochet colourwork before so this might be a bit ambitious, but you don't know if you don't try!

So there we go! I may have bitten off more than I can chew (with number 9 in particular), but at the moment I'm excited to give them all a go. Have you got any exciting plans for 2018?

12 comments:

  1. They are some really thoughtful gifts. I love that your choices for 2018 are a good mix of crafting. Happy new year K xXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I like to have a bit of variety in my crafting!

      Delete
  2. Some beautiful makes, and I’d not heard of the children’s wear pattern co so definitely checking that out. Great plans for 2018 too! Can’t wait to see the hexi quilt finally complete! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie - I really hope I can get the quilt finished this year! x

      Delete
  3. That's an impressive number of gifts—your family is lucky indeed! Thanks for mentioning the Acacia pattern; I hadn't heard of it, and my underthings drawer could definitely use some refreshing. I agree with Wakeymakes that you have a great mix of items, crafts, and difficulties in your nine pieces. My plan this year is just to sew more so that I can wear handmade more often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome - always happy to point people in the direction of a useful free pattern! I thought if I had a mix of projects, it might help me to stay interested in them all!

      Delete
  4. Wowsers, you've been busy! They're all fab makes, and I hope everybody loved them. Good luck with your Make Nine, the Vogue and Butterick dresses are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes - my sewing table was quite buy in December! They did all seem to go down well so it was time well spent I think!

      Delete
  5. Hi Ruth. Some of your plans are ones that I have done last year!The knickers thing took me a while to perfect but in the end I used a newlook pattern in combination with comparing to a pair of my own cut up ones. I can now whip up knickers at the drop of hat. I used KWIK sew bra pattern that works really well. My advice on underwear sewing is keep a note book to jot down machine settings, elastic lengths etc. Also on making knickers I made about 5 pairs in old T-shirts before I used my nice fabric - top tip there. On those Carolyn pJ's have been on my watch list for so long, maybe next year.
    https://joeveryday19.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/2018-resolutions-jan-1st.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips on underwear sewing Jo - that's really helpful! I've seen Carolyn PJs on quite a few Make Nine lists so I think it must be the kind of pattern that lots of people want to make, and need a bit of an incentive to get to! I'll pop over to look at your plans now!

      Delete
  6. All such lovely gifts! I think I need that new look top pattern - it is just what I need for something I have in the stash. Happy sewing in 2018 ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely recommend the New Look pattern - I've made a few now for myself and for gifts!

      Delete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!