Wednesday 27 April 2016

Rosey posey dress

Back at the end of January, I went on a little day trip to Lyme Regis. It's been one of my favourite places ever since we had a couple of family holidays there when I was little, but this time I found something that makes it even better - fabric shopping!


I already knew that Sew La Di Da Vintage had a sewing school based there, but since my last visit they'd also opened up a shop selling their patterns, fabrics and other sewing goodies. It's not a big place, but I'd say would definitely falls into the category of "small but perfectly formed".

There were a couple of fabrics that took my fancy, but the rose & scissor poplin that I've used for this dress ended up being the one that came home with me.


This particular print caught my attention, because I'd already been eyeing it up in Sew Over It's online shop. I'd actually very nearly bought it before, but thankfully for me I hadn't because if I had, then I'd have paid more than I needed to - Sew Over It are selling it for £12 per metre, and I think I paid £7 (or it might have been £8) per metre. It's funny how prices vary between different fabric shops isn't it?

I'm not saying that Sew Over It are trying to overcharge people - there are a lot of different factors that go in to determining a price after all - but it's definitely worth shopping around sometimes. The lady in the Sew La Di Da shop did say that they were trying to keep their prices down, so I'll have to make sure I take more fabric buying pennies for my next trip to the seaside!


The dress that I've made here is my third one from the book Sew Many Dresses, Sew Little Time (the first one's here, and the second's here). The book follows the current trend in sewing books for providing mix-and-match bodices, skirts, sleeves and necklines to create a whole array of different dresses.


This one's very similar to my other two dresses - it's the basic bodice, short sleeves and gathered skirt, but this time I used the V-neck option.

Being as I've essentially made this dress twice already, this was a nice simple project and there's not really anything to say about it that I haven't said about its predecessors. Unsurprisingly, I'm pleased with the result. Plus it's good to have a bit more pink to add to my wardrobe - I don't think I have enough of it at the moment.


I really should try some of the other different options from the book at some point, but there's a few other projects creeping up my sewing queue as well - I've got Gertie's Ultimate Dress Book to try out, and some treats from recent pattern sales, but top of the list is the new Doris dress, which will hopefully be getting stitched up soon. What sewing plans do you have at the moment?

7 comments:

  1. You look great in pink. Very sunny. I really like the v-neck, good choice. I know what you mean about fabrics costing different amounts in different shops. It's upsetting if you've paid full whack for something you didn't need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise! Yes, it's funny how prices vary sometimes isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I have a very similar dress on my wish list - you have made me want to go and root itout now - You look perfect. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! Glad to have provided inspiration for you to get to that dress!

      Delete
  3. So pretty ;o) I've been looking at another vintage shirt dress from sew over it and a couple of repro vintage butterick dress patterns. But I also have this book and the boundless style one to get into!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There's always too many options aren't there?! And you've reminded me, I also want to add another vintage shirt dress to my list!

      Delete
  4. Your dress is gorgeous, and what makes it even nicer is getting a bargain on the fabric!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment - it's always great to hear from you!